Saturday, April 17, 2010

MOVING



So it's off to Montana and I've had two weeks to make it happen. Talk about chaos.

So what do you do with chaos? You make it "organized" chaos. Have a plan for everything and have back up plans. Then make back up plans for your back up plans. If you stay organized, take things day by day, and act responsibly by making thorough and wise decisions everything will work out to it's best and you won't become overwhelmed and break down. Even if you are doing your best and there are still stumbling blocks, keep moving and don't let anything bring negativity or cause you to give up. Nothing good comes out of stress and disorganization--it's just a set up for disaster and a loss of the needed mental capacity.


Now there are still so many unknowns and there probably will be until my arrival. This move could go in various directions but these are some of my best tips I have learned during this process so far:



1. Print out a separate planner and keep it with you at all times. Put your to-do list and important numbers on the backside. For example: I printed out one page of the 2 weeks I have until moving day. This way I can focus on just the next two weeks and not get too ahead of myself. Cross out stuff on your to-do list as you go. Use a pencil because things might change!


2. Network, network, network. Talk to everyone-- you never know if they might be of assistance or have something you need. Be honest and don't be afraid to share your situation with people you come across even if it's the receptionist at the moving truck company. You never know who might help you out. My co-worker happened to have bubble wrap and tons of boxes. Another co-worker of mine had a great vet that prescribed me sedatives for my cats at a low price. Some of the simple things were being taken care of which helped me take care of the other big and complicated things.

3. Cut the crap. Moving quite a bit in the last 4-5 years I have had many closet cleansing sessions. My new rule, if you haven't worn it, seen it, or touched it since the last move-- get rid of it! Make a pile for trash, goodwill, and ebay for the things you could make some extra cash on.

4. Stay calm and look at the positives. There are going to be obstacles and road blocks. I literally had a stumbling block at the beginning of this week. I drove my car right into a median between two parking spots and into a planter. It was a unnecessary start for the morning of my one day off, and I wanted to scream. When I really thought about my foolish mistake, all I could do is laugh it off, call the tow truck company and patiently wait finding something to fill the time like updating my to-do list. These hectic moving times can make someone emotionally vulnerable, so when you hit those road blocks-- laugh it off and keep on keepin' on.

No comments:

Post a Comment