Sunday, July 11, 2010

Warning: This dessert is dangerously awesome






Every Thanksgiving and Easter my family gathers in Palm Springs for a Debbas holiday weekend. When you are a Debbas, every holiday consists of constant eating. After breakfast we talk about what's for lunch, and after lunch we snack on appetizers and discuss dinner. It's a continuous eating extravaganza. A holiday weekend participant is guaranteed to never go hungry.

Each one of these special occasions in the desert, my grandma whips out her famous cobbler. It barely lasts all weekend and a Debbas must be aggressive in a group of about 15 family members to get his or her desired portion. The cobbler is buttery, fruity, warm, gooey, and did I say buttery?

It got to the point where my family and I couldn't wait until every family reunion to eat this decadent masterpiece. My mom first decided to make the cobbler on her own, experimenting with other fruits. Since then we've tried many flavors and modified it to our various fruit cravings. The dessert is so tasty you'd think that it took hours of labor and included a list of ingredients. But don't be fooled... it's one of the simplest desserts you could ever make!

I'm going to let you in on the cobbler secret. But like the title suggests...warning: This dessert is dangerously awesome.

1. Layer the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish with either a can of pie filling (the original is apple, but you could try any fruit to suit your fancy...WalMart carries the cheapest cans) OR my best experience has been with fresh mixed berries. I wouldn't suggest frozen fruit because it can become watery.

2. After you've layered the bottom of the dish with washed and cut fruit or canned pie filling, cover the fruit with a package of yellow cake mix. Any brand works...just cover all the fruit.

3. Then use a little over a half a cup of butter and evenly pour it over the top. My grandma uses a full cup. Sometimes it's too buttery though so that's why I suggest less.

4. Pop it in the oven at 350 degrees and let it bake for about 40-45 minutes. You can check on it occasionally and when you see the top is golden brown, you can take it out. Let it cool for a while.

Spoon it out on a plate (might be a little messy) and you can even add some vanilla ice cream for some a la mode action! This dessert is always a hit and great to bring to parties since it's easy and incredibly delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds incredible! Amy had mentioned it to me in the past, and now look forward to making this myself. Easy and delicious, sounds like my kind of dish.

    ReplyDelete