Monday, November 15, 2010

Hugs in a Bowl

I recently attended a potluck and had a mouthwatering experience while tasting one of the dishes. It was chicken tortilla soup simmering away in a crockpot accompanied by tortilla chips and ripe avocado slices. At first I was concerned there must be a large content of cream as many chicken tortilla soups have. I feared for my sensitive stomach and didn't care for the extra calories among the many other dishes I'd already been munching away on.

So... I asked. Not cream... the creaminess was created by the sweet potato base. No wonder my mouth salivated after the first spoonful! I have a great love for sweet potato in any form...

If you're in the mood for a light, healthy, extremely easy mexican soup with a twist... please, please try this recipe! I'm actually posting it due to requests from friends I recently made it for. So, enjoy!

2 tsp oil

1 onion

1 large sweet potato (cooked and pureed) or 1 can of puree (12 oz)

2 cans of chicken broth (14 oz each)

½ tsp ground cumin

1 can corn (11 oz)

1 cup medium salsa

1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 oz)

Chopped cilantro (desired amount)

Cooked chicken breast cut up into bit size pieces (desired amount)

Heat oil in a saucepan, sauté onion until soft and translucent.

Add sweet potato, chicken broth and cumin; cover and reduce heat if in a pan. Stir in all other ingredients. If using a crockpot, simmer on high for an hour or low for two hours. Add more chicken broth if too thick.

Serve with crushed tortillas, avocado and cheddar cheese.

4 comments:

  1. Is this what you're going to make for our Christmas cook-off this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Amy I remember you using the word salivate.

    "I'm like salivating."

    I'm definitely going to try this recipe by subbing chicken broth for veggie broth to make it vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason... I'm going to attempt some things I haven't tried before for our cook-off, but you'll surely be sampling this soup for one of the meals while you're here!

    Ericka... I'm wondering when and why I discussed my salivating. ;) How embarrassing... Don't forget to also leave the chicken out of the pot... let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Jason & Ericka... why aren't you followers??

    ReplyDelete