Thursday, November 4, 2010

America's Search For A Political Savior



I'm learning to get use to these political seasons.

Since the media plays a large role in primary, mid-term, presidential elections, etc. --it's a process I not only need to follow, but learn to bring neutrality and balance to every side.

I've never had a passion for politics or government. In fact, I think the two C's I got in college were in economics and political science (shhhh).


I'm realizing it's good for me though. Not only is the understanding of the economy and the government crucial to my journalism career but it's crucial to my life as I take on more and more responsibilities as an adult. I use resources every day that deal with the government- whether it be the roads I drive on, the testing that went into the water I drink, the museum I visited on vacation, or the education I got from the public school I attended. The list goes on and on.


After interviewing candidates from both sides of the spectrum, I realize most of them are just on a specific agenda, subject to a strict structure, and basically just trying to win a race. They probably have good intentions but their political jargon is always vague and most of the time each candidate talks of a good idea that would benefit...well, someone.


I usually have more conservative views on social issues. And I'd like to say that being fiscally conservative sounds like a great idea? But then cutting programs or jobs never sounds appealing either?

I think it's difficult to have the answers when I don't really see the inner workings of the system or understand what it really means to manage a national budget. I'm hoping it's something I learn more and more about as I continue to cover elections. All I know is that when I heard Pastor Mark Driscoll say these words imbedded in a recent sermon, I realized if I live with this simple concept in mind, and maybe our government does as well... I don't see how we could go wrong.


Wise words from Pastor Mark Driscoll:

"No functional savior in the form of a politician can save us from ourselves. As a people who have lived beyond our means, pursued our greeds and not our needs, we have to acknowledge that repentance is the only way to make change in life.

This is not politically expedient.

There is no politician running for office that would get on television and say...

'America you're all greedy, you worship mammon, most of you are fat as well, you're not generous, you've lived beyond your means, your credit cards are racked up and as a people you all need to repent!'

But then democrats will say you're victims and the republicans ruin everything, then the republicans will say democrats ruin everything and you're victims-- and everyone has to lie so we will vote for them because otherwise we'd need to repent.

The truth is as Christians we need to look at our finances and ask, are we stewarding the resources that the father has entrusted to us in a way that shows that we believe the kingdom starts coming in our lives by obedience and stewardship?"

2 comments:

  1. I'm randomly doing a morning e-mail check and much to my surprise... a blog post! A much needed one.

    I'm sure we know which "follower" will be most surprised...

    Very well said, dear co-author. I love how you intertwined your forming political views with your career challenges and ongoing strengthening of your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Jessie. The core of our problems is us - and the core of the solution is us. I'm going to add you to the list of those working on the solution side!

    ReplyDelete