Sunday, June 20, 2010

Great addition to a summer salad




The Farmer's Market nestled in downtown Bozeman is quite the treat. From shaved ice, to homemade bread, to jams, to jewelry, to rock climbing, to live music...it's a gem to this quaint town and promotes buying local.

While there with some coworkers, I stumbled upon a natural health booth. The girls there work at Clearwater Healthcare in Bozeman. One subject they specialize in is nutrition. They were sampling salads and one was glazed with a delectable dressing. When she told me it had maple syrup in it, I was surprised. Usually I think of maple syrup as heavy and sugary. This dressing was light, refreshing, and the perfect balance of sweet.

She sent me the recipe and I tried it for the first time tonight. I'm a fan! Great over a salad consisting of your favorite fruits and nuts. I used romaine lettuce with green apples, strawberries, blueberries and pecans!

Vermont Maple Syrup Dressing:
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup maple syrup
2/3 cup organic olive oil
1 handful freshly chopped mint


One of the experts recommended adding basil or cilantro. You can also substitute vinegars with balsamic or white wine. I didn't try it but if you do, let me know how it is!

Clearwater Healthcare fun health tips:
Garlic is anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anticarcinogenic, and great for the cardiovascular system. Apple cider vinegar is wonderful for stimulating the digestive system. Olive oil is a great source of healthy fats. Mint is antispasmotic and soothing to the digestive system.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it!

    Love,
    The Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We succumbed to Jessie's tempting description and made this dressing last night - and Amy was there to enjoy it. Have to say, it was all it was cracked up to be. Delicious, light, fruity, slightly sweet. Next time we'll put it on fruit and/or nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm a little addicted to it...

    ReplyDelete