Monday, December 6, 2010

A little note about love . . . authentic love.

I posted this on Facebook about a year ago. I thought I'd revisit it because I believe it's a great reminder, especially during the holiday season when we probably think about our loved ones the most--

It's from the same author that wrote The Five Love Languages. I really enjoyed this excerpt. Something to think about for every relationship.



"The Meaning of Authentic Love" from Gary Chapman's book Love as a Way of Life --

The meaning of the word love is often confusing because the word is used in so many different ways. Every day we hear people say things like, "I love the beach. I love the mountains. I love my mother." On a romantic evening they will say, "I love you." People even talk about "falling in love." Imagine that! I sometimes want to ask, "How far do you fall, and what does it feel like when you hit the ground?"

Love is not an emotion that comes over us or an elusive goal dependent on the actions of others. Authentic love is something within our capabilities, originating in our attitudes and culminating in our actions. If we think of love as a feeling, we shall be frustrated when we can't always work up that feeling. When we realize love is primarily an action, we are ready to use the tools we have to love better.

Authentic love brings out our authentic selves, the people we want to become.

6 comments:

  1. i like this! the pastor that married us talked to us about "the five love languages." cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cool!! Yeah it's a GREAT book! So is the one he wrote after "Love As A Way Of Life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is a decision.

    I made a decision to love you.

    Forever. No matter how many times a day you call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...thank goodness. If love had a limit on phone calls, I'd be screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy's aunt here. I'm finally catching up on this blog and have to say this is a great one. I love this quote about love and will revisit this author soon. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete