Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sweetember









My co-author referred to, “ the widely-anticipated pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks” in a previous entry. Although I have a different latte preference, there are quite a few seasonal favorites I’ve been savoring on regular basis.

My first indulgence has temporarily replaced my hearty daily breakfast. This fall, I could hardly wait to open my first can of pumpkin puree and the first thing I did was scoop a heaping spoonful into my morning bowl of oats. I added in my usual cinnamon, ground flaxseed and walnuts and created a new habit. For an even sweeter concoction, I add in fresh slices of banana and a few drops of honey.

As a side note, ever since I’ve added pumpkin into my daily diet, I’ve gotten an unusual amount of comments about my hair being unusually shiny. I’m giving the pumpkin all the credit because I haven’t changed anything else about my diet (other than more sweets and calories in general) nor switched any hair products.

Continuing the pumpkin talk, a couple months ago I ventured to Julian, CA and purchased a jar of homemade pumpkin butter. I was instantly attached. Spread it on top of crunchy peanut or almond butter… heaven! (As shown in the picture, you can buy Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter, which is comparable.)

Even if you’re just an acquaintance of mine, you know what a chocoholic I am; specifically, dark chocolate. The holiday season brings Dove Peppermint Bark Dark Chocolate Promises, which brings a giant smile to my face. There is a layer of creamy white chocolate sprinkled with crunchy peppermint candy atop silky smooth dark chocolate. In case the decadent treat doesn’t just absolutely do it for you, Martha Stewart was kind enough to partner with Dove to offer us her very own holiday tips in place of the usual promises inside the wrappers. How sweet of her.

During the colder months, I get into a nightly tea routine to help warm up. This year, my favorite flavor is Cinnamon Apple Spice by Celestial Seasonings. It’s slightly sweet with a spicy kick and doesn’t need any sweetener. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Yum. I'm going to try that pumpkin in the oatmeal soon. Hope you are surviving the rain. Sounds horrible. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a while my guilty pleasure was the Julian pumpkin butter on peanut butter on toast to get me going in the morning. Your post reminds me that I haven't felt guilty enough lately so I'm on my way to Trader Joe's to stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm really behind on reading and posting comments, but I must say I'm really enjoying the Cinnamon Apple Tea every night. Especially, during the rainy days we've had. Thank you Amy, for introducing me to this tea and so many other yummy food and drinks.

    ReplyDelete