Sunday, May 9, 2010

Baking with Nutella?!?



Who doesn't get excited when they think about Nutella? And how did I never think to bake with it?

Well, today is Mother's Day. Since I can't be with my mom and everyone is hanging out with their moms, I thought what's something Mother's Day-ish I could do? I went to church and then decided to bake. Cupcakes were on my mind. While rummaging through my pantry looking for what baking essentials I had and some inspiration, I found some Nutella stacked next to the peanut butter in my pantry. Hmm...

So I did some research on baking with Nutella. I found this recipe and... wow. Cupcakes and Nutella. Best of both worlds.


10 tbsp(140 grams) butter, softened3/4 cup white sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla essense
1 3/4 cups (200 grams) sifted all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Nutella, 12 teaspoons. (1 teaspoon for each cupcakes)

Preheat oven to 325F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy,about 2 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Don’t worry if the batter doesn’t look smooth. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder until batter is uniform and no flour remains.

Using an ice cream scoop or spoon , fill each muffin liner with batter. They should be 3/4 full, if you’re not using a scoop. Top each cake with 1 heaping teaspoon of Nutella. Swirl Nutella in with a toothpick, making sure to fold a bit of batter up over the nutella.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 delicious cupcakes.


For those that don't know about Nutella, here is a little history:

Nutella is the brand name of a hazelnut sweet-spread founded by Ferrero, an Italian company. It was registered in 1963 after being modified from an earlier spread released in 1949 by Ferrero. Nutella is a modified form of gianduja, a type of chocolate containing 50% almond and hazelnut paste. It was developed in Piedmont, Italy, after taxes on cocoa beans hindered the diffusion of conventional chocolate. It's sold in 75 countries.

4 comments:

  1. Yum!! I've been on a cupcake baking spree lately too... never thought to put nutella in them. What else can we do with Nutella, Ms. Crocker? Do tell!

    You didn't mention the outcome; How good were they??

    P.S.- LOVE the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I remember Nutella in the early days, before it came to the states! We managed to get to Europe late in the 1980's and the rage there at the time was...... Nutella! We loved it, brought some home, and then not that long after, it was on the shelves in the states. A real marketing success story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard you brought home some Vegemite too? What did you think of that? The smell of it is enough for me to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While Nutella caught on big here, I'd be willing to bet that Vegemite won't follow in the same footsteps! Talk about the most pungent foul smelling food! Some people have the weirdest taste buds.....

    ReplyDelete