Monday, May 31, 2010

Stay True to the Red, White and Blue


Have I talked about how much I love my job? Well, let me tell you that I have one of the best jobs in the world. Every day is a new adventure and not only do I have the privilege to tell someone's story but I am educated on a new topic within each encounter.

Some days I'm a little more touched than others. Today, Memorial Day, was one of those days. I've never celebrated in Memorial Day festivities other than bbq-ing or going to the beach. I've also never had any connection to the men and women in the military. Although I wholeheartedly support those that fight in such a selfless act for our country, it's something that's beyond my understanding.

Bozeman celebrated it's first Memorial Day parade since 1964 this morning. There is no exact reason why it's been so long but I think there has been a craving for more patriotism lately. I was honored to cover the parade and was amazed at the turnout of so many that came to support America's fallen soldiers.

My favorite part was the hundreds of elderly people that showed up. Talking to them was very comforting. They were all very warm people with so many stories to tell. I realized that this honorable procession was mostly for them. They were the ones deeply touched and in remembrance. They were very emotional and it touched me. Loving and supporting this country had been a way of life for them and it triggered something that I didn't have. I loved seeing their deep passion for this country and their pride for the friends and family in their life that have fought for our freedoms.

People lined the streets waving their flags. Old military vehicles and hot rods filed down Main Street. Some of Bozeman's own veterans were marching and saluting. It was truly a Memorial Day experience.


The procession led to Sunset Hills Cemetery where a memorial service was held. The cemetery was filled with people, probably an individual for ever fifth tombstone. Flowers and American flags were scattered across the graves and people were kneeling with their heads bowed. It was truly a beautiful sight.

I hope that I can make future Memorial Days as special as this one and appreciate the men and women that fight so I can live the life I live.

Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this article!!! You are a wonderful writer, and I praise you for recognizing the feelings of the older generation. I was moved by your mentioning, "how this triggered something you didn't have". I pray that the younger generations, will become more passionate about what this country stands for, and how truly blessed we are to live here.
    You are in a very powerful position, to touch so many by what you say, and write.
    So excited for you, as God continues to lead you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete