Sunday, February 28, 2010

Easy, affordable, gourmet entertaining

As I informed my partner-in-crime, as I attempt to write my thoughts, I am having trouble finishing them. Perhaps this issue is related to the difficulty I have finishing books? There’s something about unanswered questions that appeals to me. This tendency doesn’t work for the purpose of our blog though. With that said, in an attempt to keep the posts flowing, I’ll finish out this month with an entry sure to assist you in an entertaining bind… I’ll disclose my most current favorite recipe.

As an understatement, I’m not much of a carnivore. However, if I include meat in my menu it’s generally chicken. My new refrigerator staple (or freezer if it’s going to be awhile) is ground chicken. Ground turkey has been the popular trend for years, but I’m wondering why ground chicken didn’t catch on as well and why it’s only sold at Stater Brothers. With ground chicken, I believe one can create amazing things and here’s the first thing you should try. I originally got the idea from good ol’ Rachel Ray, but altered it as I saw fit.

Chicken Meatballs

1 lb. ground chicken

¾ cup fresh Parmesan cheese

½ cup breadcrumbs

1 egg

2 Tbsp tomato paste (ketchup works fine)

3 cloves garlic

Generous amounts of chopped basil, cilantro and/or parsley

Salt & Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together well. Shape into any sized meatball you desire. Lightly cover meatballs in olive oil (or lightly cover the bottom of the pan). Heat on the stovetop until the meat is cooked, rotating throughout the process so the outside browns evenly (this is the only tricky step).

I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure this recipe would also work well to make an incredible meatloaf! I generally make the meatballs and place them on top of angel hair pasta tossed with olive oil, sun dried tomatoes and an abundance of veggies I’m craving that evening (generally spinach, yellow squash, corn etc.). The possibilities are endless! I’ve entertained with this dish for kids and adults alike and it’s always been a hit. Bon appétit!

1 comment:

  1. I've had these!! Boy were they good.... and healthy. My guess is that these refrigerate well and warm up great the next day (for lunch?).

    BTW, this blog contains quite a few completed thoughts.

    ReplyDelete