Saturday, February 6, 2010

Painting My Canvas

As mentioned, I have a big appetite. Someone once told me I watch the Food Network as though I’m a 400-pound woman waiting for her next meal. Guilty as charged. I’ve had to learn how to not overindulge, which eventually brought me to the conclusion that there’s more enjoyment in eating if you feel good before, during and after your scrumptious meals.

You may think I am some gourmet chef the way I’m going on and on, but in reality I’m just learning the way around the kitchen and the basics to a healthy, balanced, flavorful plate. I don’t always know what sides go with entrees or what spices compliment sauces, but I’m having fun as I learn the do’s and don’t of the culinary world.

Before I begin to share my mistakes, discoveries and accomplishments of cooking, let me tell you exactly why I am on a journey to become a decent, well-rounded cook. For me, there is just nothing quite like cooking a delicious, enjoyable meal for other people. Sure, I enjoy the flavors myself, but until I get the facial expressions and input of guests, I’m not fully satisfied. If I make a dish or meal someone enjoys and requests a second time or asks for the recipe, I am elated and have once more gotten the fulfillment of pleasing someone else’s palette. There’s the true secret as to why I research, experiment and dance around my little kitchen. One day I hope to have a decent collection of accomplishments to call my own and share with those who cross my path through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment