Saturday, February 13, 2010

Frugal Feasting


Living on a strict budget you have to be creative about eating cheap and healthy. Let's be honest too...it's not that fun to eat healthy sometimes so it needs to be delicious as well! Leaving the restaurant biz...and starting a lowly paying job with very undesirable hours was a price to pay for the take-off to my dream job. Not living on tips day to day and now knowing my exact income every month has been quite scary. So I try to plan out meals and think about how I can gain all my nutrition and stay within my budget. One thing I've learned is it isn't cheap to eat healthy! Seems strange that it would have to be that way.You really have to put in the extra dollar amount to buy from the organic section of the grocery store. How easy and cheap is it to pick up a big mac or eat something quick off the dollar menu at your favorite fast-food restaurant when you are starving? You wonder why many people living in lower-class America have a hard time eating healthy. It's expensive! Stores such as Whole Foods and Trader Joe's can be quite pricey but I have found some hidden gems, which will start out the first of my two favorite weekly meals I will mention. These favorite, frugal feasts that I eat during my work break are cheap, nutritious, and yummy! One meal is for quick eating out and the other is for planning ahead!


#1 Wrap/Sandwich and soup COMBO!

I discovered this treasure while aimlessly walking through Whole Foods wondering what I could possibly eat that wouldn't cost me a fortune. Whole Foods is very close to my work and when I don't have/make time to whip up a packed lunch I go here. In the deli section, they have a create-your-own sandwich or wrap option. You can get a whole or a half sandwich/wrap and for $1 extra add a soup or salad. Depending on the type of meat used, the prices vary. I like to choose the wrap option because it's less carbs and $1 cheaper. The half wrap is VERY filling. They always make the half wraps very packed and when I add the soup I
am more than full. I suggest buying the whole wrap if you want to save some for later! There are about 8 soups to choose from and they are all healthy and delicious.

My recommendations:


Half spinach wrap, TOASTED with cranberry tuna fish salad and provolone cheese (comparable to a tuna melt). I have them add mixed greens to it after it has been toasted and that's all you need! Absolutely delicious. $2.99 before the soup! $3.99 with soup! WHAT A DEAL!


OR:
Half multigrain wrap with grilled chicken breast. You can choose from many spreads
(avocado spread, sun-dried tomato spread, pesto, chipotle pesto, etc.) but I like balsamic vinegar and sometimes I add a little hummus! They have all the cheeses and veggies to choose from. I like a little pepper jack cheese, tomatoes, onions (if you can handle the breath), cucumbers, and mixed greens. $3.99 and $4.99 with soup!

One more note about sandwich options --any chicken/tuna salad you see in the window, you can put in a wrap! They have some amazing ones. Just ask for a sample if you're unsure!!

They have different soups every day. My favorites so far have been the mushroom barley, Lebanese vegetable, chicken tortilla and pumpkin! All very hearty and nutritious! Pumpkin is definitely an acquired taste for a soup. My Australian roommate introduced it to me and while hesitant at first, it's actually really tasty!
So $4-$5 for a filling meal at Whole Foods, that's what I call a steal-- almost plain wrong! Cheaper than making a lunch!

#2 Mom's Even Better the Next Day Pasta Salad!


This has always been a favorite in my family. This homemade goodness is just like it's described-- even better the next day. That's why I started making a big batch at the beginning of the week and it lasts me for the next 5-6 days during my dinner break at work!


It's as simple as 1-2-3


1. At the grocery store buy corkscrew(rotini) pasta (whole wheat if you want to go really healthy), chicken, your favorite veggies (I like red and yellow bell peppers, broccoli, green onions, peas, red onions--pick your favorites), cottage cheese or feta cheese, balsamic vinegar and another dressing that sounds good. I use an Italian dressing and also add a little bit of Annie's Goddess dressing (expensive but you can catch it on sale!)


2. Chop up all your veggies and boil the noodles at the same time, while baking chicken for about 20-25 minutes.


3. Combine and toss all ingredients including the veggies, cheese, dressings, pasta and shredded chicken! No exact measurements...just add what you like! It's so tasty and the balsamic vinegar really adds great flavor! Add a little pepper and Italian seasoning if you'd like. Not cooking the veggies help keep their nutrition. So, nutritious, cheap and can be a packed lunch for almost the whole week! No microwave needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment