Sunday, February 21, 2010

Knobs

Budget and style are two concepts that don’t unite on a regular basis. It’s easy to open a catalog, magazine or brochure and fall in love with a particular look, piece or design style. When furnishing an apartment you need to be creative in order to stay within your allotted budget. Granted, I was pretty spoiled to inherit an abundance of fabulous furniture, but nonetheless there were still things to do to make my place my own.

In particular, I’ll focus on a couple key pieces within my 650 square feet. Last year I bought a desk from a consignment store. It’s a perfect size, with enough newness and “used character” for my liking. The top is made of gorgeous pine and the base is painted wood with an antique texturing. The only part I didn’t marvel at was the knobs. They were made of a boring brown colored plastic. To solve the issue of having a close-to-perfect desk, I decided to modify what I had purchased. I ran over to one of my favorite stores, Anthropologie (who doesn’t love it?) and bought a collection one of their best-kept secrets… knobs. They have the most incredible selection of unique knobs for drawers or doors. I chose those that caught my eye because I knew I wouldn’t be able to decide on just five right then and there (they encourage experimentation and make returns a breeze). Afterward, I brought them home and played around with them to decide which worked best with my décor. It changed the entire look of the desk! I later inherited a pine dresser and Anthropologie once more assisted me in changing the look of that piece to somewhat match my distinctive desk. What else can I attach these amazing knobs to?

1 comment:

  1. How about to the kitchen drawers and cabinet doors? Keep the old ones to put back on when you move out!

    ReplyDelete